Have you ever imagined working in an area surrounded by mountains, lush green thick forests and at the same time enjoying the beauty of volcanoes? So now you can reach your dreamy place by getting a Costa Rica digital nomad visa. This visa is issued to remote workers, freelancers and ex-pats for around 12 months.
According to statistics, there are 10% of expats living in Costa Rica. Hence being surrounded by such a community in the land of beauty will help you in grooming yourself. Moreover, you’ll enjoy a high-quality lifestyle and you won’t regret choosing Costa Rica as your nomadic destination.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
Digital Nomad Visa is specially designed for those remote workers who want to enjoy a nomadic lifestyle by working from anywhere around the world. Being a digital nomad you get to experience many different cultures and living styles.
First of all, you have to meet the eligibility criteria of the country you’re applying for. Moreover, organizations are highly strict for their safety. Therefore being a digital nomad you have to submit your clean criminal record. There are other requirements too. And digital nomad visas are usually issued for around six months to a year.
Is Costa Rica a good country for Digital Nomads?
Costa Rica is an ideal destination for those who want to freshen up their souls. The country is known for its scenic beaches and lush green landscapes. Moreover being a remote worker or digital nomad you’ll get cheap flights for traveling all around.
You’ll enjoy incredible weather and will meet a large community of ex-pats there. Hence there is a great chance for you to make valuable connections during your nomadism in Costa Rica. Moreover, luxurious hotels and restaurants provide amazing services to foreigners.
But here are some drawbacks of staying as a digital nomad. As Costa Rica is more famous as a holiday destination. Therefore you may find difficulty in finding a reliable internet connection, but you’ll get 4G internet service. Moreover, there are fewer coworking spaces in Costa Rica, and accommodation costs are high.
Documents Required for Costa Rica Digital Nomad Visa
Here are the documents that you must have to submit while applying for Costa Rica remote visa, and make sure to submit all your documents in Spanish:
- You have to submit your passport having a validity of at least six months.
- Moreover, a filled application form is required.
- You have to show the accommodation proof. For this, you have to submit the rental agreement documents for accommodation in Costa Rica.
- You have to show the employment contract and a cover letter that must explain the reasons for your stay in Costa Rica.
- For providing proof of the income criteria for the Costa Rica nomad pass you have to show the bank statements.
- There is also a need for a police clearance certificate which you can get through the local government of your country.
- Health and travel insurance are also required.
Eligibility Criteria for Costa Rica Digital Nomad Visa
You have to meet the below-mentioned eligibility criteria for Costa Rica digital nomads permit:
- Your income must be $3,000 per month.
- Moreover, your remote work must be outside Costa Rica. You’re not allowed to do any kind of work within the state.
- You must be providing remote or freelancing services to your clients for becoming eligible for Costa Rica remote pass.
- If you’re taking your family with you then your income must be around $4,000.
- Without any health insurance, you’ll not be eligible for this visa.
Digital Nomad Visa Cost
You can get the application form for Costa Rica digital nomad visa from the embassy. Moreover, you can also fill it out online. For this, you have to pay a fee of around $100 which you have to pay before the submission of your application form.
Digital Nomad Visa Income Tax
Fortunately, digital nomads are exempted from the income tax policy of Costa Rica. Hence if you spend a whole year as a digital nomad or remote worker in Costa Rica you have to pay 0% income tax.
How to apply for Costa Rica Digital Nomad Visa?
Here is a step-by-step guide to applying for Costa Rica digital nomad visa:
First of all, you have to make an appointment with the “General Directorate of Migration and Foreign Affairs”.
Submission of Application
Then you have to fill out the application form with the required documents. You can fill out the application on their website. And then reach the embassy for further details and fee payment.
Remote Visa Approval
Now wait for visa approval, you may get the reply within two weeks. If your application gets approved you can travel to Costa Rica.
After entering the country as a digital nomad, you’re given 180 days to apply for the process of a temporary residence permit in Costa Rica.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Costa Rica
There are numerous benefits of working as a digital nomad or remote worker in Costa Rica. Some of them are listed below:
- Costa Rica has amazing weather. The summers and winters aren’t harsh there.
- There isn’t any language barrier as most of the people speak English. Hence there is no difficulty in communication for foreigners or ex-pats.
- Costa Rica has many places to visit therefore you’ll get many spots to do various fun activities.
- You’ll enjoy a high-quality lifestyle along with the scenic beauty of the lush green lands in Costa Rica.
- The biggest perk of being a digital nomad in Costa Rica is that you don’t have to pay any taxes.
- The people are joyful and thus you’ll enjoy exploring their vibrant culture.
Best Cities for Digital Nomads in Costa Rica
Here are the suggestions for the best cities in Costa Rica for a digital nomad:
San Jose is the capital of Costa Rica surrounded by the Talamanca mountains. Here you can enjoy an amazing lifestyle. The neighborhood areas in San Jose are the safest places in Costa Rica. You won’t find any hurdles while communicating as according to statistics the literacy rate in San Jose is 98%.
Moreover, the best accommodation being a digital nomad will cost you around $600 to $800. And you’ll find coworking space for $230 per month. The city has great hustle and bustle all around. But a drawback of living in San Jose is that you’ll have to face traffic jams if you’re going out.
If you are looking for a hub of digital nomads in Costa Rica, then Puerto Viejo is an ideal choice for you. Prefer to live in the city center as here you can enjoy amazing cafes, restaurants and one of the best hotels. The internet connection costs around $70 per month.
You can do adventurous activities in Puerto Viejo. Most importantly, don’t forget to visit the “Cacao Plantation” where you can see the real making of chocolates. This place is great fun! As Puerto Viejo is an expensive place, therefore accommodation will cost you $1500 to $2000 per month.
Tamarindo in Costa Rica is famous as a surfing destination. Hence it’s a perfect place for beach lovers. You can enjoy various activities in the crystal clear waters. Moreover, you can also go hiking in the surrounding areas.
Sun House Cowork & Surf and La Comunidad are the best coworking spaces in Tamarindo. You’ll find the best apartments for accommodation for around $800 to $1000. But it is suggested to rent an Airbnb. Tamarindo has high-speed internet and it is considered one of the best choices for digital nomads.
Playa Hermosa is another place for adventures. It may have fewer options for cafes, restaurants and coworking spaces. But if you’re a nature lover then this place won’t make you feel bored. You can enjoy fishing, surfing and boating in Playa Hermosa.
Moreover, you can tantalize your taste buds by eating the local cuisine there. And in your free time boating would be a great fun activity. The total cost of living including accommodation, travel and food in Playa Hermosa is $1500 to $2000.
Santa Teresa has the stunning beauty of lush green forests. This place has many coworking spaces and accommodations forex-pass near scenic beauty spots. Therefore you’ll enjoy working with the jaw-dropping view.
You’ll find accommodation for $400 to $800 per month. There are amazing options for productive coworking spaces in Santa Teresa which includes Selina Santa Teresa and Swinda coworking. The total cost of living for travel, food and accommodation for remote workers is around $2000.
Best Co-working Spaces for Remote Workers in Costa Rica
Though Costa Rica has fewer coworking spaces hence it’s better to work from home. But if you still wanna work from a coworking space. Here are some recommendations:
- Gracias Coffee & Cowork, San Jose.
- Puerto & Co. Coworking Space & Vegan Café, Puerto Viejo.
- Sand & Surf Co-working, Tamarindo.
- Impact Hub, San Jose.
- Selina CoWork, San Jose.
- Colabora, San Jose.
Digital Nomad Visa Rejection Rate and Appeal Procedure
The rejection rate for Costa Rica’s digital nomad visa is low. Hence the main reason is only incorrect and incomplete submission of documents. Therefore submit your application without any errors. Moreover, if your application gets denied you can write a detailed appeal letter to the “Costa Rica Ministry of Foreign Affairs”.
Can you take your family with you on your Costa Rica Digital Nomad Visa?
Yes, you can take your family with you on your Costa Rica digital nomad visa. But for this, you have to meet the following criteria:
- Your monthly income must be $4,000.
- Children only under 25 years old are allowed on your Costa Rica remote pass.
- Moreover, if you’re sponsoring your spouse with you then you have to submit your valid marriage certificate.
- If any of your family members has a disability then you have to submit their medical proof.
1. What is the total cost of living in Costa Rica for a digital nomad?
The total cost of living in Costa Rica as a digital nomad is $3,000.
2. What is the internet speed in Costa Rica?
The towns and highly populated areas in Costa Rica are 43.32 Mbps.
3. How long is the processing time for Costa Rica digital nomad visa?
You’ll receive the response for your digital nomad visa application approval within two weeks.
4. More American Countries with Digital Nomad Visa
Here is the list of American countries with digital nomad visas:
5. How long can I work remotely in Costa Rica?
You can work as a digital nomad in Costa Rica for a year.
Despite being an expensive destination for digital nomads. Costa Rica has so much to offer including scenic landscapes, vibrant culture and a large community of expats. Hence it would be a great experience to stay as a remote worker in Costa Rica. Moreover, its eligibility criteria are also easy. Therefore you must put Costa Rica on your bucket list.