Turkey ranks among the top European destinations for digital nomads because it gives a luxurious digital lifestyle at an affordable cost. Moreover, Turkey’s wonders of natural beauty are worth visiting for a nomadic holiday. Getting a digital nomad visa for Turkey is more manageable than in other countries. There are various options for choosing a pass whose criteria suit you the best.
The coworking spaces, cafes, and restaurants have another level of vibrancy. The best part about staying in Turkey is that you can tantalize your taste buds with one of the world’s most delicious cuisines. So after considering Turkey as your next nomadic destination, you’ll feel like the best decision ever made!
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa is a legal permit to work while travelling to various countries worldwide. But you must meet the specific criteria to become eligible for this Visa. Therefore you must be a remote worker, freelancer, or entrepreneur to avail this opportunity.
Digital nomad pass opens the door to growth and success opportunities for remote workers. Because during nomadism, you can make worthy connections with the other ex-pats. Moreover, you have to strictly follow the guidelines provided by the respective country while applying for a remote visa. This Visa is usually for a period of six months to a year.
Types of Turkish Visa:
Turkey offers various visas to foreigners. Hence you have to choose according to your needs. So head on towards the following information for Turkish Visa.
Short Term Visa
A short-term visa is issued for 90 days. Moreover, this is also an ideal choice for digital nomads. But if you want to stay in Turkey for more than 90 days, you can apply for it again.
- You can apply for this Visa for tourism purposes. While using it, you must give a detailed statement of your reason for visiting.
- If you’re applying for business purposes, you must attach the invitation letter from the company or organization.
- If you’re getting this Visa for scientific research, giving the evidence of license from the relevant organization is necessary.
- Short-term visas are also valid for those enrolled in language courses or training programs.
Family Residence Visa
Family Residence Visa for Turkey is issued for three years.
- You can apply if your spouse is a foreigner.
- If you have foreign children, you can apply for this Visa.
- Most importantly, your income must meet the Visa’s criteria.
Student Residence Permit
A student Residence Permit visa is issued following the duration of your study. Usually, this Visa is given for a year.
- You can apply for this Visa if you’re willing to study in the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs in the higher education system of Turkey.
- Moreover, if a foreigner is availing of this Visa to study in primary and secondary education, then assurance of care expenses every year must be provided by parents.
Long Term Visa
You become eligible to apply for a long-term visa after residing in Turkey for about eight years.
- This Visa is given under the Migration Policies Board.
- Moreover, you must have sufficient income to support your family while applying for Turkey’s long-term Visa.
- Most importantly, medical insurance is also necessary.
Documents Required for Turkey Digital Nomad Visa
Following are the documents that you need while applying for Turkey Residence-permit Visa:
- You must have your valid passport while applying for Turkey digital nomad visa.
- Moreover, your travel documents are also necessary.
- A letter of recommendation from your employer is required.
- You also have to bring the visa application form for approval.
- You must have documents of your residence contract in Turkey.
- A record showing that you haven’t committed any crime in the past.
Eligibility Criteria for Turkey Digital Nomad Visa
The eligibility criteria for Turkey’s digital nomad visa are more convenient than in other countries. Here are the details:
- You must earn $550 monthly to qualify for a Turkey digital nomad visa.
- You must show a residence permit before entering Turkey as a remote worker.
- While applying, you must have proof that you’ve paid the visa fee.
- This Visa also requires travel insurance.
Turkey Digital Nomad Visa Cost
First, the cost of a Turkey digital nomad visa depends on your nationality, as this Visa has a different fee for every country. But usually, the Turkey Residence-permit fee is $8.75. Moreover, there is an increase of around $2 every month till your stay in Turkey.
Here is another condition, if you go to Turkey without a remote permit. In this case, you have to pay the fee of $70 to issue your Turkey digital nomad visa.
Turkey Digital Nomad Visa Income Tax
Living in Turkey for six months on your digital nomad visa doesn’t charge you any income tax. Furthermore, if you choose to live more than six months on a residence permit visa, then you become eligible to pay income tax of around 20% to 25%.
How to apply for Turkey Digital Nomad Visa?
Here is a step-by-step guide on applying for Turkey digital nomad visa:
Applying for the permit
Head to their website and complete the Turkey Residence-permit visa with all the necessary documents.
The next step is to schedule an appointment with the nearest Directorate General of Migration and Management office. For this, you also have to fill out another form for work.
In the interview, they ask questions to determine whether you can reside in Turkey. Moreover, you also have to show your essential documents while interviewing.
It takes a minimum of 15 days to approve a Turkey Residence-permit visa. After approval, you can easily travel to Turkey.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Turkey
Turkey is an ideal place for digital nomads in every aspect. Here are some of the benefits:
- The climate of Turkey is incredible, and you can embrace the joy of all seasons in Turkey.
- Turkey is among those countries having the fastest internet connection in Europe. The internet speed in Turkey is around 30 Mbps.
- You can enjoy the cuisine of any style you want. Most importantly, every kind of food and vegetable is available, which other countries usually lack.
- Turkey has excellent coworking spaces, internet cafes, and accommodations with good infrastructure.
- There are a lot of places to visit in Turkey, and you’ll fall in love with them at once.
- The best part is that Turkey provides various types of visas to foreigners. Hence it becomes easy to choose the type of Visa according to his needs.
- The nightlife in Turkey (especially in Istanbul and Ankara) is vibrant, showing all the various colours of Turkish culture.
- Turkey is one of the best countries where you can invest in a business without any hurdles.
Best Cities of Digital Nomads in Turkey
Here is the list of the best cities in Turkey that you must not miss:
Istanbul is a land of kaleidoscopic beauty where you’ll never get bored. Being a digital nomad, Istanbul offers a high lifestyle at an affordable cost. Accommodation in Istanbul costs around $270-$500 per month. Moreover, you’ll also experience the best internet in this city with a speed of 31.40Mbps.
There are plenty of places to visit in Istanbul:
Cappadocia is where one craves to go again and again. The ride on the hot air balloon surrounded by mesmerizing beauty takes all your worries away. “Blue Mosque ”, which still stands among one of the best architects in the world, will leave you stunned. Transportation is also cheap as one side ride costs between $2 to $5. Hence the total of living in Istanbul is $810 to $1,000.
Ankara is a hub of universities, industries, and businesses. You’ll find a good community of ex-pats in Ankara. Moreover, the city has an efficient transport system. The speed of the internet is around 10 to 20 Mbps. Accommodation costs are reasonable and will cost you between $340-$500.
Ankara is an accurate depiction of the Ottoman Empire. All the museums, art galleries, and buildings reflect authentic culture. You’ll find many affordable coworking spaces in Ankara. Moreover, this city will open the doors to many business opportunities for you. Furthermore, Ankara’s total cost of living, including transportation, food, and accommodation, is almost $850 to $1,000.
Antalya is another beauty of Turkey situated along the idyllic Mediterranean Coast. I suggest you live in Antalya for a portion of the month as a week’s trip would be enough to explore that place. Unfortunately, the internet speed in Antalya isn’t perfect, but you can try different coworking spaces. They have a good internet connection.
Moreover, there are unique places to visit, including Old Town and Kursunlu Waterfall, and this city has so many ancient ruins worth visiting. Antalya is one of the cheapest places as the accommodation costs just $200 to $300. But you must have a budget of around $ 1000 to $1,500 to enjoy your trips.
Izmir is a city of the great hustle and bustle. You’ll find friendly people here. Moreover, this place is also worth visiting for ex-pats.”Kemeralti Market” is a vibrant place in Izmir where you can find cafes and restaurants offering mouth-watering cuisines.
The accommodation cost in Izmir is affordable, and you can find around $452-$500 per month. The internet speed is 12Mbps. But to experience more high-speed internet, go for coworking spaces. Being a digital nomad will cost you around $950 for monthly expenses in Izmir.
Fethiye is a small city in Turkey that unveils the beauty of crystal-clear water. This place has a lot of offers, but still, most digital nomads complain about bad internet connection in Fethiye. So please choose to work in a coworking space.
Most of the hotels charge around $50-60 per night. Moreover, you can also rent an Airbnb, which will cost $800-1,000 per month. Moreover, there are adventurous activities to do in Fethiye, like paragliding and hiking. And don’t forget to visit the “Butterfly Valley” and “Kayakoy.” However, the total cost of living in Fethiye is around $1,000 to $1,500. And it’s the best place for refreshing yourself on your nomadic holiday.
Best Coworking Spaces for Remote Workers in Turkey
Following is the list of best coworking spaces for digital nomads and remote workers in Turkey:
- Ancowork, Ankara
- Originn Coworking, Izmir
- Impact Hub, Istanbul.
- Hipokampus Coworking Space, Fethiye.
- Regus Coworking Space, Istanbul.
- CoBAC WorkSpace, Istanbul.
- Lokasyon Coworking ve Sanal Ofis, Izmir.
- Creawork-Coworking, Antalya.
- Lokal, Fethiye.
- CoZone, Ankara.
- Work C, Antalya.
1, What is the cost of living in Turkey?
Turkey is one of the most affordable places to enjoy your holidays, remote work, or nomadism, as the cost of living in Turkey is $1,000 to $1,500.
2. What is the internet speed in Turkey?
The average internet speed in Turkey is 32 Mbps.
3. How long is the processing time for Turkey Digital Nomad Visa?
It takes a minimum of 15 days to approve your Turkey visa application. But in some countries, it takes more time.
4. More European countries with digital nomad visas.
Following are the countries in Europe that would be the best choice for digital nomads:
5. Can your family join you on Turkey Digital Nomad Visa?
Turkey Visa allows you to take your family with you. You must apply for a separate “Family Visa,” meeting all the eligibility criteria.
Turkey is a land of opportunities for ex-pats in the areas of both business and remote work. You’d be lucky if you get a Turkey Residence-permit visa. Moreover, the people are friendly, and you’ll feel at home in Turkey. Affordable accommodation, efficient transport, and a good internet connection make Turkey an ideal destination.