Cyprus is like heaven for digital nomads. Here you can enjoy a quality lifestyle at an affordable price. The sandy beaches, lively towns and Cypriot culture will make you fall in love with Cyprus. According to statistics by UNESCO, Cyprus has a literacy rate of about 98%.
Living in a community of such people you’ll have a chance to make valuable relations with the expats. And you can get this all by applying for a “Cyprus digital nomad visa”. This remote visa is issued for a year. I can bet you that you won’t forget your epic days in Cyprus as a digital nomad or remote worker.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa gives you the independence to explore diverse parts of the world by working remotely. Being a digital nomad makes your life more adventurous as you get a chance to live among the distinct cultures of the world.
Over 50 countries in the world are offering digital nomad passes. Hence if you satisfy the eligibility criteria for any country then don’t stop yourself from exploring that place and breaking the lethargy of your traditional office.
Is Cyprus a Good Country for Digital Nomads?
The biggest perk of living as a digital nomad in Cyprus is that you’re free from paying any tax. You become eligible to pay tax after 183 days. But still, the tax rate is low for remote workers and expats. You’ll get a chance to live a high-quality and peaceful lifestyle at an affordable cost.
Cyprus has a good infrastructure and productive coworking spaces all around. There’s a lot to see in Cyprus and you won’t get tired of its charm. Moreover, it will make you fall in love with its ancient culture. And you’ll relish a safe environment in Cyprus. Therefore Cyprus is a wonderful place for digital nomads.
Documents Required for Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa
You need to have the following documents before applying for a Cyprus digital nomad pass:
- Your passport must be valid for at least three months.
- A signed and attested Cyprus digital nomad pass is required.
- You have to submit evidence that you’re an experienced remote worker.
- You also have to write a detailed “letter of intent” in which you’ve to write the reasons for your stay in Cyprus.
- Submit the CV mentioning all the experience for your remote and academic work details.
- You must have a clean criminal record attested by the local government of your county.
- Proof of accommodation is required, for this, you have to submit a copy of your rental agreement in Cyprus.
- A registration certificate is required to prove that the company you’re working with is outside Cyprus.
- Moreover, you must have health insurance coverage of almost €30,000 in Cyprus.
- You have to submit your blood analysis certificate or report signed by a doctor. This report confirms to the embassy that you’re free from any kind of disease.
Eligibility Criteria for Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa
You must satisfy the following criteria to become eligible for the Cyprus Digital nomad pass:
- You must be a non-European to qualify for Cyprus digital nomad visa.
- Moreover, your monthly income must be around $3,781.
- You must know the use of telecommunication as a remote worker.
- You must be an employee in a company outside Cyprus. Otherwise, you’ll be considered ineligible for a nomad permit.
Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa Cost
Cyprus has the most reasonable digital nomad visa in the world. As you have to spend $75 for the Cyprus visa application. You can consult the embassy for fee submission.
Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa Income Tax
You don’t have to pay any tax being a digital nomad or remote worker in Cyprus. But after your 183rd day in Cyprus as a digital nomad, you become a tax resident. Therefore you become eligible to pay personal income tax.
How to apply for a Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa?
Here is a step-by-step guide on applying for a Cyprus digital nomad permit.
First of all, you have to gather all the required documents for this visa. And make sure that your documents must be valid and attested.
Appointment and Submission
The next step is to book an apportionment with the embassy. You have to submit the application and pay the fee for your visa application to the Cyprus embassy. They’ll guide you about the further steps.
It will take about a month for the approval of your Cyprus digital nomad pass. Once your visa gets issued and you can travel to Cyprus.
After entering Cyprus you have three months to get a temporary residence permit. For this, you have to schedule an appointment with the Civil Registry and Migration Department. After checking your documents they’ll issue you a Cyprus residence permit within a few days.
Benefits of Working as a Digital Nomad in Cyprus
Here are some benefits of working as a digital nomad in Cyprus:
- Being a remote worker, a stable internet connection is your foremost requirement. Hence you’ll find the best internet connections all around Cyprus.
- Don’t have to worry about language. As most of the Cypriots can speak English.
- You can easily travel around Cyprus without bothering about the weather conditions. As the weather remains tropical and warm for almost a whole year.
- Here you’ll find tons of adventures and fun places to visit.
- Cyprus is popular for being one of the safest places in the world. Hence you hardly witness any crime scenes there.
- It has an affordable visa cost and in fact, Cyprus has one of the cheapest costs of living among other states in Europe.
Best Cities for Digital Nomads in Cyprus
Here are a few suggestions for the best cities in Cyprus for digital Nomads and ex-pats:
If you love the city vibes, narrow stress and vibrant markets and malls, then Nicosia is a perfect place for you. Here you’ll find the irresistible Cypriot cuisine. Moreover, roaming around the narrow streets will make you discover the real Cypriot culture. There is a great and expanded transportation system in Nicosia.
This place offers a 60% cheaper cost of living than the UK. Hence accommodation costs between $500 to $800. Nicosia has one of the best coworking spaces including Regus and HUB NICOSIA. Despite all these perks, you may get pissed off by the heavy traffic.
Paphos is a small city with a small population. It is famous for its ancient ruins and historical places. Hence if you wanna live away from the stressful city life then Paphos would be a perfect destination for you. Moreover, the city is close to the beach hence you can enjoy various activities along the coast.
The coworking spaces in Paphos are the best of digital nomads and they cost around $150 to $200 per month. Paphos is famous for fish cuisine and you can also tantalize your taste buds with original Greek and Turkish food. The speed of the internet is 28.5 Mbps in Paphos. And the total cost of living is $1100 to $1500.
Here in Limassol, you’ll get a blend of city and beach vibes. The city has incredible skyscrapers and a lot of places to visit. Though Limassol isn’t a walkable city hence you have to travel around the city in a car. In your free time, you can go hiking or enjoy the sand along the beach side.
Troodos Mountains, Kourion Beach, and Lofou Village must be on your bucket list during your stay in Limassol. The city has great cafes and restaurants. And it is suggested to rent an Airbnb for accommodation. Limassol is the most expensive city in Cyprus. Therefore the cost of living is around $1800 to $2000.
4. Ayia Napa
Ayia Napa is a place for those who are looking for leisure and entertainment. Hence it is not a quiet place. So as a digital nomad, it would be great if you stay during winter. The most beautiful places to visit in Ayia Napa include Gape Grece Park and Niss Avenue.
The comfortable cost of living for a digital nomad in Ayia Napa is $1500. The best cafes and coworking spaces for digital nomads are Gloria Jeans Coffee and Mikel.
Larnaca is one of the best places for expats. It is a modern city and it has everything that a digital nomad needs. The fast internet connection, cafes, restaurants and shopping malls that’s all you can find in the beautiful city of Larnaca.
Larnaca Castle and Saint Lazarus represent the true picture of this historical city. In your leisure time, you can go swimming and diving as Larnaca has crystal-clear beaches. The best thing is that you can enjoy a quality lifestyle at an affordable cost of living, which is $1000.
Best Co-working Spaces for Remote Workers in Cyprus
Following are the suggestions of the best co-working spaces in Cyprus for remote workers:
- Kafeneio Co-Working Space, Nicosia.
- Mindspace, Limassol.
- Gravity Ventures, Limassol.
- Coworking Paphos.
- The Workspace, Larnaca.
- The Office, Nicosia.
- Chrysalis Leap, Limassol.
Visa Rejection Rate and Appeal Procedure
The rejection rate for Cyprus digital nomad visas is around 3%. Hence you don’t have to worry about it. But if still your visa gets denied it may be due to invalid documents, incorrect information or failing to meet the eligibility criteria.
In case you think that the rejection is not correct. Therefore you have the right to appeal for this. For this, you can contact the “Cyprus Immigration Department ” and submit an appeal letter along with supporting documents.
Can your family join you on your Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa?
Yes, your family can travel with you on your Cyprus digital nomad visa. But your family isn’t allowed to do any kind of earning in Cyprus. Moreover, you can only bring your spouse and your children under 18. And each family member has to obtain a separate nomad permit for themselves.
1. What is the cost of living in Cyprus?
Being a digital nomad the total cost of living in Cyprus is $1,500 to $2,000.
2. What is the internet speed in Cyprus?
The internet is fast in Cyprus and the average speed is around 50Mbps.
3. How long is the processing time for the Cyprus digital nomad visa?
The processing time for Cyprus digital nomad pass depends upon the number of applications. But it almost takes a month for the approval of your visa application.
4. More European countries with Digital Nomad Visa.
Here is the list of some European countries for digital nomads:
5. What is the validity of the Cyprus Digital Nomad Visa?
The Cyprus digital nomad permit is valid for a year. But it can be extended for two more years.
Cyprus has amazing opportunities for you as a digital nomad or remote worker. The reasonable cost of living and vibrant culture of Cyprus make it a worth-visiting destination for ex-pats. Here you’ll have a chance to work around the world’s most beautiful landscapes and beaches. Moreover, there’s a lot more to explore in Cyprus, especially the effective work environment.