Hungary is one of the various countries in Europe that gives digital nomads, freelancers, and independent business owners the opportunity to legally work and live within Hungary.
The application process for Hungary’s brand-new Digital Nomad Visa (DNV) can be challenging. So, this article will help you find all the information you need to know about the application procedure, the financial requirements, and the essential paperwork.
What is a digital nomad Visa?
The digital nomad visa enables the holder to be employed while they are in the country, provided they carry out their work freely and remotely. Digital Nomad Visa is a temporary work visa that allows you to work and live in a country as a digital nomad, spending most of your working time online. The visa was created to allow foreign workers that want to travel around the world and work remotely part-time or full-time while they are overseas.
Hungary’s visa for digital nomads is also called the “White Card” or “DNV,” and it has been in effect since November 2021. It allows you to legally work and live in Hungary.
Digital nomads frequently work in the IT sector or other professions like writing, consulting, or teaching. Many digital nomads like this lifestyle due to its independence and flexibility, as well as the chance to see other cultures and ways of life.
Is Hungary a good country for digital nomads?
Hungary has been named one of the best places in Europe for digital nomads, along with Madrid and Istanbul.
The country offers beautiful buildings, a thriving café culture, and a low cost of living. There are a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, tourist sites, and places to work and live that will meet your needs, no matter if you want to work or relax.
Documents Required for the Hungary Digital Nomad Visa
If you qualify for a digital nomad visa in Hungary, it is time to submit your application. But before you do so, prepare the necessary submission paperwork.
Here is the list of the submission requirements:
- Visa application form: You can download the application form.
- Return Flight Ticket: Applicants must submit a return flight ticket indicating the date of their departure from Hungary.
- Passport is valid standing – Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of application.
- Accommodation Evidence: You are required to provide evidence that you have accommodation in Hungary. It can take the form of a rental agreement or a hotel reservation, depending on where you wish to reside in Hungary.
- Images in passport size: you must send two photos in passport size with your application. The images must be 2 by 2 inches in size and shot within the last year.
- Proof of income: Applicants must provide evidence that they earn a minimum of €2,000 per month. You can submit a bank statement or an employment contract specifying your monthly wage.
- Health insurance: Applicants must have health insurance to pay for any medical costs they might have while living in Hungary as a digital nomad.
- Additional requirements for employed individuals: digital nomads working for a company must submit a document detailing the scope of their employer’s operations. You must also submit a job contract outlining the nature of your remote work, including the required daily hours.
- Additional requirements for company owners or shareholders: digital nomads who run a business are required to provide a document detailing the extent of their enterprise. If you are a shareholder, please send proof that you own shares in the company.
DNV Eligibility Criteria
Before you apply for a digital nomad visa in Hungary, you should make sure that you meet the requirements.
Therefore, the following are the requirements for the Hungary digital nomad visa:
- They are third-country nationals, meaning they are citizens of non-EEA nations.
- You must be able to work from a distance using digital tools like computers, cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc.
- You have a valid employment contract with a company or employer outside of Hungary, are a stakeholder in a company outside of Hungary, or own a company outside of Hungary.
Visa Fees for Digital Nomads:
The fees for a digital nomad visa in Hungary are as follows:
- There will be $125.25 paid for the White Card application in your country.
- The charge for filing an application for a White Card in Hungary is $125.55.
- The cost to submit an application using the NDGAP’s online portal is $77.26.
- The service cost for extending your visa in person at an NDGAP office is $112.68.
- $75.05 is the charge for extending your visa using NDGAP’s online platform.
Hungary Digital Nomad Visa Income Tax
When compared to other European nations, Hungary’s tax rate is rather low, making it an attractive destination for international residents. Social security taxes for workers are 18.5%, whereas the personal tax rate is 15%. The VAT rate is 27%, while the corporate income tax rate is 9%.
Taxes are not waived for digital nomads in Hungary until after they have been in the country for 183 days. Following that, you will be required to register and pay taxes in the country. Paying income and social security taxes is also obligatory.
How to Apply Hungary Digital Nomad Visa?
1. Validation of the finances
This evidence demonstrates that you are not dependent on others financially. To acquire this visa, you must present a bank statement as evidence that you possess the 2,000 euros that are necessary.
2. Continued Travel Documentation
A tourist needs to demonstrate that they have a destination after leaving Hungary to be granted entry into the country using the White Card. This can be a flight scheduled to return home after the visa’s validity period or a trip booked to another location.
3. A Demonstration of Accommodation
You have to provide evidence that you will have a place to stay in Hungary and a Hungarian White Card visa to enter the country. It is sufficient to have either a rental agreement or a reservation at a hotel or Airbnb.
4. Additional Documents
- A passport that is at least halfway through its validity period
- 2 full-color images for your passport Health Insurance
The application process for the White Card or digital nomad visa in Hungary can begin once all the necessary documentation is gathered. Applying for a digital nomad visa in Hungary entails two steps. The first step is to submit a visa application with your country’s Hungarian embassy or consulate. If your application for a visa to enter Hungary is successful, you can go to Hungary and apply for a White Card once you arrive.
Process to Obtain a digital nomad visa:
The process for obtaining a digital nomad visa can be broken down into the following steps:
Set up a meeting with the Hungarian consulate. To apply for a digital nomad visa in Hungary, contact the embassy or consulate of Hungary in your country. They are available via an internet search.
2. Form of Application
Get an online copy of the White Card application forms for a remote work permit, which you can then print out and fill out. For this, you’ll need the application for a residence permit and the accompanying Appendix 17 form. Please be as detailed as possible when filling out the forms.
3. Appointment and Important Material
Be punctual for your scheduled appointment – Please present yourself at the consulate or embassy on the appointed day. Take note of the application deadlines and gather the necessary materials in advance. Be ready for the quick interview.
4. Payment after the interview
To apply for a visa, you must pay the equivalent of $125.25 USD after your interview.
Be patient as they complete your visa application; it could take up to 30 days.
Visas for entry into Hungary are issued after an application has been processed and granted. If you have one, you can use it to enter Hungary. They typically use the postal service.
6. Application Submission
Be sure to submit your White Card application within 30 days of your arrival in Hungary. Visit the local office of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (NDGAP) to submit your White Card application. Please bring all application materials to the nearest NDGAP office.
7. Associated Service Fee
After completing your White Card application, you must also pay the associated service fee, which is currently set at $125.55 USD. Submitting your application via NDGAP’s online portal will also cost you money, to the tune of $77.26.
You will be sent your White Card in the mail once your application has been processed and approved. It’s essentially a passport, and it’ll let you call Hungary home while you become a digital nomad.
Benefits of being a digital nomad
As a digital nomad in Hungary, you can enjoy the following advantages:
Paying taxes If you stay in Hungary for more than 183 days, the country will treat you as a tax resident, even if you work remotely (half a year). Therefore, beginning on the 183rd day of your stay, you will be subject to taxation. You will also have to make social contributions and pay income tax.
Regarding internet speeds, Hungary is among the best in Europe and the globe. Broadband internet in Hungary is ranked 12th in the world, while mobile internet is ranked 39th.
3. Excellent cuisine:
Dishes from Hungary are known for their heat and sophistication. Cheese and beef feature heavily in the diet, as do soups and stews, and the country’s desserts have gained international renown. What sets this dish apart is that its recipes vary depending on where you are.
4. The cheapest European country:
Rent, public transportation, grocery stores, the local library, and the internet are all far less expensive in Hungary.
Cost of living
Rent, groceries, public transportation, and the internet are all more affordable than they would be in most other European countries. 150,000 Hungarian forints is roughly $690 or €520, therefore, this is the typical cost for a digital nomad.
The average monthly rent for a small apartment in Budapest is $226 (€200), whereas the national average is 50,000 forints ($160).
Meals range in price from 1000 to 3000 forints ($3–$9).
Prices for various modes of transportation range from $30 for a monthly pass on the public bus system to $2.4 for a taxi ride and $1 per litre for gas for a personal vehicle.
Internet service costs between $13 and $15 per month.
Best Cities for Digital Nomads in Hungary
Here are some cities in Hungary that are popular among digital nomads:
- Budapest: The capital and largest city in Hungary, Budapest is known for its vibrant culture, rich history, and stunning architecture. It has a thriving tech scene and is home to many coworking spaces, making it a great place for digital nomads to work and live.
- Debrecen: Located in eastern Hungary, Debrecen is the second-largest city in the country and is known for its universities and research institutions. It has a growing startup scene and is home to a number of co-working spaces, making it a great place for digital nomads to connect with other professionals.
- Szeged: Located in southern Hungary, Szeged is known for its universities and research institutions, and has a thriving tech scene. It is home to a number of coworking spaces and is a popular destination for digital nomads.
Best Coworking Spaces for Remote Workers in Hungary
There are coworking spaces in many Hungarian cities, like Budapest and Pecs. Sopron, Szeged, and Debrecen. As a digital nomad, you can be sure that Hungary has plenty of good places to work.
Here are some of the best ones:
- Impact Hub
- Xponential Coworking
- Kapca Coworking
- Flow Coworking
How long am I allowed to stay in Hungary if I have a Digital Nomad Visa?
You can prolong your stay in Hungary for up to another 12 months after your initial year if you have a White Card.
How Much Does It Cost to Live in Hungary?
Rent, groceries, public transportation, and the internet are all more affordable than they would be in most other European countries. 150,000 Hungarian Forints is roughly $690 or €520. Therefore, this is the typical cost for a digital nomad.
What is Hungary’s Internet Speed?
The internet speed is around 42.77 Mbps in Hungary. The Internet connection in Hungary is among the top ten fastest in the world.
How long is the processing time for the Hungary Digital Nomad Visa?
Your application for a digital nomad visa in Hungary may take up to 30 days to be processed.
More European countries with Digital Nomad Visas
Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, and Slovenia are some of the other European nations that provide digital nomad visas.
Can your family join you on your Hungary digital nomad visa?
Hungary’s digital nomad visa precludes family reunions. If you are married, your partner must meet the prerequisites and submit a second White Card application. If you don’t follow relocation rules, the authorities may reject your immigration application, thus, you need legal help.